STUDY SKILLS - Online
Dr. Anthony Henley presents Study Skills and Learning Strategies: evidence-based methods to help students improve executive functioning, test-taking skills, and comprehension. Instruction is based primarily on the SKORE method developed by Claire Nissenbaum, a Fellow of the Orton-Gillingham Academy and Founder of ASDEC. Participants will also learn to provide students with an overview of phonics and general study skills. In addition, they will learn how to boost test-taking skills that emphasize understanding directions and identifying key words. Study Skills is one of four required courses for Academic Therapy (AT) Certification. Participants may begin their AT training with this course.
Participants will learn specific methods to help students in three critical areas: Executive Function, Study Strategies and Grammar/Writing:
• Time Management,
• Binder/Materials Organization,
• Metacognition, and
• Teacher Relations.
• Memory Techniques,
• Oral note-taking techniques, and
• Systematic study from student texts.
Grammar/Vocabulary and Writing:
• Grammar and parts of speech instruction,
• Base words and inflected endings,
• Multiple word meanings,
• Synonyms and antonyms,
• Etymology, roots and affixes ,
• Non-literal Language, such as idioms and metaphors
• Brainstorming, graphic organizers and mind-mapping,
• Sentence sense,
• Paragraph structure, and
• Essay structure.
Distance Learning Procedures
Participants have access to recorded sessions
Participants may communicate with instructor through online community blog
Participants complete required class assignments
- A Pentium II or faster computer that can log on to the Internet.
- An Internet Service Provider (ISP).
- Valid email address for the participant (all communication occurs via email).
- Up-to-date browser such as Internet Explorer, Firefox, or Safari.
- PC users: most recent version of Flash installed for your browser of choice.
- Mac users: plan to use the Safari browser or Flash installed for your browser of choice.
- Audio speakers or headphones plugged into the computer.
- Access to a printer.
When: February 4 - April 29, 2017 with three onsite sessions in our Rockville office:
Saturday March 4, 2017 from 10:00 - 1:00 pm or Skype March 7 from 7:30-9:00 p.m.
Saturday April 1, 2017 from 10:00 - 1:00 pm or Skype April 4 from 7:30-9:00 p.m.
Saturday April 22, 2017 from 10:00-1:00 or Skype April 25 from 7:30-9:00 p.m.
Cost: $785 Click here to register.
Online Access to the class videos and materials will be available on the first day of class. We will send you an email with course login information one day prior to the start of class.
Graduate Credit from Trinity University is available for an additional fee. You must register by January 23, contact Ellen at firstname.lastname@example.org for registration information.